All patients, except emergencies, must make an appointment.
During your first appointment
Please enter through the main entrance at 600 W Street, NW. All patients and visitors must wear a mask. If you arrive without one, our greeter will provide one for you. Anyone who fails to comply with this policy will be asked to leave.
- If you have a referral, please be sure to provide it at registration
- Main registration is located on the 2nd floor. Pediatric and AEGD patients will check in on the 4th floor.
- Please bring valid/current picture identification and insurance information (if applicable). Howard University Students should have a current HU ID and proof of insurance.
- We will screen you to assess your health and your dental needs
- We will provide information about the College of Dentistry OD and determine if HUCOD can become your Dental Home
If we become your new Dental Home
- We will record your oral health needs
- We will match you with your dental care team
- We will discuss your availability to come in for appointments
- Appointments will be made through our team of patient service representatives
- Please bring valid/current picture identification and insurance information (if applicable) to each visit. Howard University Students should have a current HU ID and proof of insurance.
After acceptance into the program, you will be assigned a student dentist who will contact you:
- For a formal introduction
- To get a better understanding of what you need and expect
The Howard University College of Dentistry (HUCOD) is a teaching institution. Some patients may be beyond the scope of treatment that can be rendered by a dental student. In addition, some patients may not have the ability to commit to the time it takes to receive treatment by a student dentist. Finally, we are a Comprehensive Care clinic. This means that we look at all of your treatment needs and take a sequential approach to completing all care needed to treat your entire mouth from cleaning, to fillings, to replacing missing teeth.
If you are beyond the scope of treatment we will provide you with information to assist you on how to find a dental home.
Referral to any specialists is not an endorsement by the COD but merely information to assist the patient to see the appropriate type of practitioner.
Patients who are advised to seek dental care in a private dental office can have copies of their records and x-rays sent to the dentist of their choice, upon written request
Emergency/Urgent Care Clinic
If you are a new patient or unassigned returning patient experiencing a dental emergency, please call Howard Dental Care at (202) 806-0007 and choose option 1. We also try to accommodate walk-in patients Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 3pm as capacity allows.
If you are an assigned patient, please contact your student doctor.
For patients under the age of 17 or patients with special needs, please call our Children’s Clinic at (202)806-0307.
If you are a patient who is experiencing a dental emergency after hours, on weekends or during holidays, please call the Howard University Hospital at (202) 865-6100 and ask for the dental resident on call.
Billing Questions 202-806-0007 – prompt #5 EMERGENCY CARE If you are assigned to a student-dentist, you must contact the student-dentist to receive emergency treatment. Unassigned patients in pain or distress may be seen in our emergency clinic on a limited basis. Monday to Friday Regular clinic hours on a first-come first-served basis. Weeknights & Weekends Call the Howard University Hospital Dental Clinic
202-806-0007 – prompt #5