Financial Aid

Meeting the cost of a dental education is a very important topic for dental students and their families.

Each student, who applies and is eligible for aid, will receive a Financial Aid Package visible in their Bisonweb. In some instances, scholarships may be offered. Students should realize, however, that some expenses might not be met through financial aid. Every effort should be made to supplement financial aid through summer employment and earnings prior to entering dental school. Students should not plan to work full-time during the academic year. After assessing personal resources as well as the Financial Aid Award Package, the student should formulate a carefully planned budget. Each student should be reminded that the primary purpose of financial aid is to assist in defraying educational costs.

The College of Dentistry has been appointed a full-time Financial Aid Counselor, Ms. Vanessa Scott, who works as a liaison and specializes in advising the dental students on their financial aid matters.  Specifically, Ms. Scott advises students enrolled in Dental Hygiene, Doctor of Dental Surgery, International Dentist Program, and all Post-Doctoral Programs. The Office of Financial Aid is located on the fifth floor of the College of Dentistry. 

Ms. Vanessa Scott
Financial Aid Counselor

Office Hours
Monday - Friday 9am - 5pm
Closed 1pm-2pm

(202) 806-0368        

Mailing Address and Office Location:
600 W St. NW, Suite 508, Room 5E-6A
Washington, DC 20059

Financial Aid FAQs

Am I eligible for federal student aid?

Please refer to FAFSA website for eligibility requirements. 

What is an eligible non-citizen?

You are considered an “eligible noncitizen” if you fall into certain categories, such as the ones listed on the FASFA website. 

A special note to international students: 
Resources for financial assistance to international students who do not meet the criteria for eligible non-citizen status are extremely limited, therefore; it is imperative that each student makes clearly defined payment arrangements for the four-year period before arriving. Tuition, fees, books and supplies, room and board, travel and all other miscellaneous expenses must be included in the budget plan. This plan must be on file at the College of Dentistry.

Ultimately, financing a dental education is the responsibility of each student and their families. Applicants are encouraged to explore all outside sources for assistance in meeting their educational costs. International students commonly enroll in the payment plan each semester and pay the bill out of pocket. Typically, international students apply for private loan(s). Often, students need an endorser (cosigner) to be approved for the private loan. 

What can the DDS financial aid package be comprised of?

  1. The Unsubsidized Loan ($40,500 for fall/ spring semesters)
  2. The Graduate Plus Loan
  3. Institutional Trustee Scholarship (is awarded if a student is eligible, as not all students are eligible for the Trustee scholarship; and Trustee scholarship funding availability varies each academic year)

How do I apply for the FASFA?

Go to  to begin the process of applying for the FAFSA.

Do so as soon as possible. The window to apply opens Oct 1st each academic year.
Do not wait until the start of school to apply.

How does the financial aid process work?

  1. You accept/apply for your loans. 
  2. Loans get created and then disbursed. The loans pay toward student's outstanding bill directly. 
  3. If you have a credit balance, the Office of the Bursar initiates a refund. 
  4. The refund reaches your bank account in 3-10 business days after a Direct Deposit is initiated. Make sure you set up Direct Deposit in Bisonweb.) 

The loans and scholarship(s) go toward paying your balance first. The rest comes to you in a refund. Refunds occur when the bill has been paid and the student has a credit balance (Negative Balance) on their account after disbursement. 


General Financial Aid Information 

Financial aid packages may include scholarships, grants, federal loans and/ or private loans. In order to be considered for federal aid and need-based scholarships, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on Completion of the FAFSA form determines a student’s eligibility to receive federal financial aid. Please note that this is not a loan application nor is it an automatic assumption of acceptance of loans. In addition to filing the FAFSA, students will have to take further steps to indicate their intent to accept the federal loans on their student record.

The submission of a FAFSA does not guarantee eligibility for financial aid (loans and/or scholarships). Students may need to provide additional documentation to verify eligibility such as high school diploma, passport, certificate of naturalization, visa information, etc. Once a student completes their FAFSA, they will receive Student Aid Report (SAR) sent to the email provided on their FAFSA. The SAR will provide a summary and comments indicating additional documentation which the student may need to submit to The HUCD Financial Aid Office.

Priority in awarding financial aid is given to eligible students on a first come-first serve basis. All scholarships are subject to the availability of funds and the calculated determination of need. Some scholarships, however, are awarded solely based on academic excellence.

Financial aid is only offered to students who are officially admitted. FAFSA applications from candidates for readmission are not considered until the request for readmission has been approved. Financial aid awarded may only be used to pay educational costs incurred during the academic year indicated on the financial aid award letter. Awards may not be used to satisfy a prior year indebtedness to the University nor to pay enrollment fees and deposits for University housing.

Students must complete a FAFSA each year. The window to apply for a new academic year opens every year on October first.