International Dentist Program | Graduate
This program affords a dentist who received a dental degree from outside of the United States to matriculate, in the third year of the pre-doctoral dental program, after calibration and competency assessment. The candidate joins the third year dental class (D3) and completes the obligations for receipt of a DDS degree within two years at Howard University College of Dentistry (HUCD). To be considered for admission to HUCD, the applicant must have successfully completed the National Dental Boards Examinations, Parts I and II. Successful completion and performance of the Integrated National Board Dental Examination will be accepted in lieu of Part I and Part II passing scores.
All applications and credentials will be evaluated by the American Dental Education Association (ADEA) Centralized Application for Advanced Placement for International Dentists (CAAPID) and must be submitted by July 31st, prior to the anticipated year of admission. ADEA CAAPID is a centralized application service devoted to supporting dental schools that offer advanced standing programs for applicants with dental degrees earned outside of the US and Canada. The application will be operated similarly to the current AADSAS and PASS application processes
- Program Deadline: July 31st, annually
- Orientation Date: Wednesday after University Graduation in May, annually (usually third week)
- Class Start Date: Monday after Orientation Week in May, annually
- Class Size: up to 10
- Degree Awarded: D.D.S.
English Language Proficiency
- Must be proficient in the English language.
- Applicants whose Dental Degree is International are required to take the TOEFL, with a total score of 100 or more to be considered (No Waiver will be given)
- Must submit original TOEFL score report form directly to program (not to ADEA CAAPID) upon request
National Board Dental Examination (NBDE) Requirements
Program requires passage of NBDE, either Part I and Part II or the Integrate format, and prefers that passage be within the last 5 years to be considered for admission.
- Submission of official scores to program directly from ADA website is required (not to ADEA CAAPID).
- Board Examination must be completed, scored and passed prior to application deadline.
Letter of Evaluation
Program requires three Letters of Evaluation (to ADEA CAAPID).
- Program prefers one Letter of Evaluation to come from Dean of dental school from which applicant graduated. All are to be written on Institutional Letterhead, with official signature of evaluator.
Transcripts and Evaluations
Applicant must submit to ADEA CAAPID a detailed evaluation by either ECE or WES.
- If admitted, program will require official transcripts from original dental school to be sent directly to program.
Candidates will submit non-refundable Howard University Application fee directly to Howard University College of Dentistry, in addition to the fees charged by CAAPID. An application is not considered complete until the application fee is paid. Only complete applications are reviewed.
Mail the Non-Refundable $200.00 Application Fee to the following mailing address. Make certified funds Cashier’s Checks/or Money Orders Payable to Howard University College of Dentistry (Suite 128); include your ADEA CAAPID ID# and First Name/Last Name on the check or money order. DO NOT SEND CASH, DO NOT SEND PERSONAL CHECKS or they will be returned, and processing of your application will be delayed.
College of Dentistry
Office of Academic Affairs
Attention: International Dentist Program
600 W Street NW – Suite 128
Washington, DC 20059
Other documents that should be sent directly to program (not to ADEA CAAPID), only if requested:
- Only documents on CAAPID website will be reviewed no paper records, no updated CV (unless specifically requested at interview)
- Supplemental application material may be requested after review of your ADEA CAAPID application
- Send 2 x 2 color photograph to program (not to ADEA CAAPID) after being contacted by program for a scheduled interview. Print your name and ADEA CAAPID number on the back of the photo.
- Communication by email is preferred over telephone. (add email@example.com to your email contacts to insure delivery of all email correspondence)
- Only applications that are complete, meeting the deadline and listed requirements, will be reviewed and considered for admission.
Caution to Prospective Students
The Board of Trustees of Howard University on September 24, 1983, adopted the following policy statement regarding applications for admission: "Applicants seeking admission to Howard University are required to submit accurate and complete credentials and accurate and complete information requested by the University. Applicants who fail to do so shall be denied admission. Enrolled students who as applicants failed to submit accurate and complete credentials or accurate and complete information on their application for admission shall be subject to dismissal when the same is made known, regardless of classification."
All credentials must be sent to:
Howard University Graduate School
Office of Graduate Recruitment and Admissions
4th and College Streets, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20059
Thank you for your interest in the Howard University College of Dentistry International Dentist Program! Best wishes in all of you academic and career endeavors!